In the 7th century, Japanese monks visiting China to study Zen Buddhism returned home with their new discovery of green tea’s wonderful healing properties. In the following centuries, drinking green tea Matcha (Matcha is a high-grade green tea ground into powdered form. The green tea powder is whisked into hot water, instead of steeped, to form a frothy drink.) became a staple for Japanese monks, imbuing them with energy and mental focus that enhanced their meditation.
Today green tea extract and it's ground powder form, Matcha, are used in many beauty products, including masks, creams & lotions. Research has established that topical application of green tea leaves or extracts have many benefits for skin, including anti-aging properties. The polyphenols in green tea possess potent antioxidant and skin-soothing properties, and show significant promise for improving the appearance of sun-damaged skin. Its strong antioxidant, anti-carcinogenic and anti-inflammatory properties show promise at slowing down the process of aging, repairing or improving the appearance of sun-damaged skin. ).
- Green tea is chock full of Vitamin B2 and Vitamin E, both essential for skin health maintenance. B2 plays an essential role in maintaining collagen levels for youthful skin structure and firmness. Vitamin E supports new skin cell growth and also acts an intense hydrator for soft and nourished skin.
- Caffeine and tannins in green tea help shrink blood vessels around the eyes, making it a miracle for treating puffy eyes and dark circles.
- Green tea leaf fibers are proven to stimulate hair growth, thanks to catechins and polyphenols stimulating cell turnover in hair follicles.
- Green tea has anti-inflammatory properties, thanks to its high content of polyphenols called catechins. The catechins in green tea reduce irritation, redness, and swelling.
- Green tea is powerful antibacterial agent for treating acne and unclogging pores. Polyphenols in green tea damage bacterial membranes and fight against infection, meaning that it’s a useful tool for treating bacterial growth that causes acne. It helps kill systemic bacterial inflammation for smoother, toned skin.