What's the first instruction on most sunless tanning products. Exfoliate first. Before using a sunless tanning product, wash your skin to remove excess dead skin cells. Spend a little extra time exfoliating areas with thick skin, such as your knees, elbows and ankles.
Exfoliation is the process of sloughing off dead skin cells from the surface of your skin. But it’s not as simple as that. There are actually two kinds of exfoliation: mechanical and chemical. Mechanical exfoliation involves physically scrubbing your skin’s surface with a scrub, dry brush, or another exfoliating skin care tool. Chemical exfoliation, on the other hand, involves the use of salicylic acid, alpha hydroxy acids (like glycolic acid), or enzymes to chemically break down surface buildup.
Whether you implement mechanical or chemical exfoliation into your skin care routine, the main purpose of exfoliating is to slough off the buildup of dead skin cells from skin’s surface. And that’s important since your skin’s natural ability to shed dead skin cells slows down as you age, which can lead to duller-looking skin. What’s more, regularly exfoliating can also help to make your other products work better since they won’t be sitting on top of lots of build-up. When applying a sunless tanner, this is especially true and allows for the product to tan you evenly. Shop Body Scrubs.
HOW TO EXFOLIATE YOUR BODY
- Begin with dry skin. Before you even hop in the shower, put on a pair of exfoliating gloves or grab your loofah and gently rub your skin in circular motions to begin the dead skin cell shedding process.
- Get in the shower. After you’ve scrubbed your dry skin from head to toe, let the water run down your body to start the next step of exfoliation goodness.
- Use an exfoliating cleanser. There are a number of exfoliation products for the body, but we’re partial to body scrubs and exfoliating body washes as they can easily be worked into your shower routine. Just like you did with your dry skin, you’ll want to exfoliate in circular motions with whichever body exfoliation product you choose.
- Give your elbows, feet, and knees extra TLC. Be sure to pay more attention to these areas because they’re especially prone to dryness.
- Don’t skip your back. Although you can’t reach it easily, make sure not to neglect your back. Instead, grab a back brush to exfoliate hard-to-reach places.
- Rinse. After you’ve exfoliated like a pro, rinse off with lukewarm water.
You are ready to get a perfect sunless tan. Whether you want just a touch of bronze or a deep dark tan, a good tanning product is essential. Buy one now.