Tuesday, February 19, 2019
In case you or your hair stylist has created the red coloring of your hair, you'll know that keeping red hair vibrant is a struggle. The red color will readily disappear and even slowly leach out when you merely rinse your hair with water. Born redheads certainly know how light will quickly bleach their hair color. This is due to the fact that pheomelanin is degraded faster in the presence of UV light. Mere hair care and protection will not preserve the copper red color. It takes active care and knowledge of how to maintain red hair to keep the red hair color brilliant.
Red pigments are light-sensitive, especially those that come in a bottle. Both natural and other redheads should stay out of the midday sun, use hair care products that are made for red hair and that protect against UV rays.
If your hair is dyed red, you should not use a swimming pool for at least two weeks after dyeing your hair because chlorinated water is much harder on those red pigments.
As your hair starts to fade, you should use a red color rinse. It will help maintain the brilliance. Products like Celeb Luxury Colorwash or Tressa Watercolors are perfect for this.
Use an intensive mask/treatment on your hair weekly. Using a conditioner on red hair is not enough. Intensive treatments contain ingredients that penetrate the hair and can fill out gaps in the hair cuticle. This keeps the red pigments in the hair for a longer time. Joico's Color Intensity Color Butter is great for this.
Monday, February 18, 2019
New York Fashion Week 2019 is now history. But what was seen there will be everywhere soon. Although most of us will never afford the actual runway styles, we will see less costly versions at our favorite stores. The colors and make-up looks will be copied. As we looked through some pix, we noticed the nails...and so many were done with Essie Nail Polish. Take a look.
Right from the opening ceremony, Essie Nails were on display. "If you're going to get one pattern on your nails this spring, make it gingham."
Julie Kandalec created this hand-drawn print using black and gold nail polish at the opening ceremony.
Kith had a new take on a classic manicure that's more Americana than French.
Kate Spade - One coat of Essie Skinny Dip and then one coat of Just the Glitter from Essie Summit of Style backstage at Kate Spade.
Brandon Maxwell - Two costs of Essie nail polish in Sugar Daddy backstage at Brandon Maxwell's Texas-inspired show.
Sunday, February 17, 2019
Unless you're an expert at nails, applying polish can sometimes be a challenge, especially if you only do it on special occasions. Essie's video gives you the expert "how to" for applying polish easily.
So easy right. But what about your "other hand"...unless your ambidextrous, that's always the challenge. Again, we have a quick video "how to" for this.
Saturday, February 16, 2019
You have straight hair...but just blow-drying is not enough to get the truly straight, frizz free, shiny style you really want. Here, Paul Mitchell shows you the perfect way to flat iron your way to gloriously straight.
Friday, February 15, 2019
Wednesday, February 13, 2019
As we age, the length of the growing phase of hair decreases, causing the hair to become weaker and thinner after each hair growth cycle. That’s why it’s important to ensure your diet is rich in specific nutrients to maintain normal, healthy hair growth.
Biotin is a water-soluble vitamin that's a part of the vitamin B family. It's also known as vitamin H. Your body needs biotin to help convert certain nutrients into energy. It is found in small amounts in many foods such as eggs, milk, or bananas. For most people the biotin they get from their diet is sufficient. However, if you aren’t getting enough biotin, you may experience hair loss or a scaly red rash. Why? Keratin is a basic protein that makes up your hair, skin and nails. Biotin improves your body’s keratin infrastructure.
Understanding your hair growth cycles, may help you to determine if you need a hair loss, hair growth supplement.
Hair grows from the follicle, or root, underneath the skin. The hair is ‘fed’ by blood vessels at the base of the follicle, which give it the nourishment it needs to grow. Between starting to grow and falling out years later, each hair passes through three stages: anagen, catagen and telogen. Every hair is at a different stage of the growth cycle.
- Anagen (Growing Phase) phase usually lasts 2-7 years, and the length of this phase determines the length of our hair.
- Catagen (Transition Phase) This is the transitional phase that lasts about ten days. During this stage, the hair follicle decreases in size and detaches from the dermal papilla.
- Telogen (Resting Phase) This is the telogen, or resting, phase, which generally lasts around 3 months. Around 10-15% of the hair on your head is in this phase at any given time. While the old hair is resting, a new hair begins the growing phase.
- This is when shedding occurs. The old hair detaches and sheds, and new hair continues to grow. Approximately 50 to 150 of your hairs may fall out daily. That is considered a normal rate of hair shedding.
Don't expect overnight results. As with any supplement, it's consistency over time that gets results. It is also important to talk with your doctor before you start taking any nutritional supplement.
As well as hair loss and brittle nails, Biotin does have several other proven benefits. For example, biotin is one of several B vitamins that supports a healthy metabolism. Biotin converts glucose from carbohydrates into energy for the body and aids amino acids in carrying out normal bodily functions.
Biotin is also thought to:
- reduce inflammation
- improve cognitive function
- help lower blood sugar in people with diabetes
- increase “good” HDL cholesterol and decrease “bad” LDL cholesterol
You can view the entire ingredients label for all of our supplements right on their web page.
Tuesday, February 12, 2019
Having fine, flat hair might seem easy to style. After all, fine hair requires little blow-drying and you can effortlessly tie it in a low-slung bun or ponytail on your way out while still looking chic. But many people with this hair type will tell you that it can be difficult to hold curls or add natural-looking volume—and no one wants droopy, limp hair halfway through the day. Here's our best tips for fine hair.
Make sure you're using a lightweight volumizing shampoo and conditioner that also have some moisturizing ingredients. These types of shampoos tend to be more drying and can cause your scalp to overproduce oils to make up for it.
Never apply conditioner to your scalp.
Any time you wet your hair you should use conditioner, but only from mid-length to the ends. Since you’re opening up your cuticle, your hair needs the nourishment. But glopping it on the roots will just make you look greasy and limp within a few hours.
Use a clarifying shampoo to get rid of buildup.
Using a once-a-week clarifying shampoo will rid your hair of impurities and product buildup that weighs hair down without stripping your color.
Blow-dry to activate volumizing products.
You may be tempted to skip the blow dryer, especially if your fine hair dries straight and smooth. But if you skip blow drying, your volumizing work will all be for naught. Almost all volumizers are activated by heat so you need to use a blow dryer.
Unlike the mousse our mothers used that dried out hair and froze it in all its permed glory, mousse formulas today are more elegant and hydrating. Apply a volumizing whip or mousse when hair is wet. Comb a small, palm-sized dollop of product through hair from root to ends. Be careful not to apply too much as this will only weigh your hair down.
Get acquainted with a good dry shampoo.
You get a better hold and long-lasting volume using dry shampoo over hairspray. Instead of spraying and then brushing out like you would to absorb oil, leave it be. Even if you volumize your heart out in the morning, you might still need a midday refresher. Keep a travel-sized dry shampoo or volumizing powder in your bag
Shampoo less often—yes, really.
This freaks out women with fine hairs, since fine-hair tend to get oily fast. When you shampoo every day, volumizing products are usually not the most moisturizing, so your scalp will produce more oils to moisturize itself. Get on a cycle of shampooing only three or four times a week and we promise it will really help in the volume department.
Change your part.
If you have been wearing the same part since hair started growing on your head then it is probably time to switch your part. When you part your hair in the same way for a very long time, your hair starts to fall flat. When you change your part this helps in giving a lift to your roots making your hair look more voluminous.
Get a volumizing haircut.
When talking about the perfect haircut for fine hair the two things that really matters is are- length and layers. If you have fine hair, then a one length cut will make your fine hair appear even finer. Apart from this the longer your hair the more they will weigh down making them appear very flat on the scalp. So if you have fine hair then the best way to add volume to your hair is by going for a volumizing haircut. Add a lot of layers to your hair and limit the length of your hair to below your shoulders but not passing over your back. This will make your hair appear bouncier and voluminous. But make sure not to go for very short layers.
Monday, February 11, 2019
Make-up choices can be a bit confusing when you have a face full of freckles. Should you cover them up with heavy layers of foundation, focus on concealing specific area or skip face make-up all together and focus on lash-lengthening mascara, brow-defining pencils & bold lip colors.
If you're proud of your freckles, which we thin are lovely, then here are a few make-up artist tips for showing them off.
Pick sheer, buildable products.
The key to letting your freckles show is opting for sheer, buildable products. “Avoid any medium- to full-coverage foundations, heavy powders or powder blush. Creamy sheer, products will put your freckles on display.. This means using lightweight products like tinted primers, tinted moisturizers, and spot concealers—the more sheer the better.
Mix existing products with moisturizer.
Can’t splurge on new makeup right now? No worries. You can sheer-ify heavier foundation with some moisturizer. Mix your moisturizer with a lightweight foundation
Enhance your freckles with a brow pencil.
You can make your freckles pop by emphasizing them with a little bit of makeup. Lightly tapping a brow pencil on your existing freckles can bring them out even more—so long as the shades match up, of course.
Play with warm-toned lip colors.
Most freckles tend to be cool-toned, which is something to keep in mind when choosing a lip color. Choose a warm-toned lip color to juxtapose the cool-toned freckles.
Sunday, February 10, 2019
Make-up is the art of illusion. You emphasize your strong points and camouflage your flaws. You highlight & conceal. Here are some tips to help you show off your beautiful eyes.
- To make small eyes look bigger, don’t outline the contour of your eye with a dark color. Apply shimmery base eye shadow on the entire mobile lid. Highlight with a light iridescent shade under the eyebrow and in the inside corner and contour of the eye to define its outer corner. Instead of dark eye shadow along the lashes, use eyeliner along and beyond the upper lash line to elongate your eyes. Use eyeliner on the lower lid for a festive look.
- For protruding eyes, matte eye shadow is preferable to iridescent as a base and contouring color. In the crease, blend contouring color halfway down to the lashes, visibly shrinking the size of the mobile lid. Curling your lashes may be the best remedy to reduce bulginess.
- Mature eyes look best with a light base eye shadow all over the eyelid, and a soft highlighter under the eyebrow. Lift your eyes by applying color strictly above your upper eyelid, keeping the sides and lower lid free of base eye shadow. Use brown or grey mascara instead of black.
- For Asian eyes, don’t attempt to draw a line above your natural crease with a dark color. Instead, try to create the illusion of eyelids by applying bright shimmery eye shadow on and above the crease. It should occupy about one third of the space between your lashes and your eyebrows. Be aware that this technique works well only if your eyelids aren’t saggy.
- Large wide-set eyes look beautiful as they are; smaller ones need some work. Draw your shading line in the crease, close to the inner corner, but don’t deliberately try to make your eyes appear closer by applying dark eye shadow near your nose. Apply eye shadow within the border defined by the eye shape, and don’t whiten your inner corners.
- Round eyes need a little dimension. First, apply eyeliner from the inner corners of your eyes all the way to the outside ending in a straight line or small cat eye. Then highlight below the brow bone and the inner corners of your eye with a light eye shadow. To show contrast between the highlighted parts of the eye, take a medium eye shadow color and lightly apply it above your lid. Finally, thickly apply a darker color shadow along the crease of your eye, without going too overboard. Blend the shadow from the outside going towards the middle of the eye to add dimension.
- Hooded eyes have an extra layer of skin below the brow that covers the crease and makes the lid seem smaller. They don't need much highlighting, so start with your light shadow only on the inner corners of your eyes. They apply a good amount of the medium color to the hooded lip. Go heavy with the dark shade around the crease to give the illusion of a rounder eye and extend your eyeliner further out in order to balance the look.
Saturday, February 9, 2019
Everyone is using sheet masks these days. It's a great way to do double-duty. You get to relax for 15 minutes and care for your facial skin at the same time. There are some simple tips that will help you get the most from your mask.
- Rule number one: no makeup, no SPF, no moisturizer under it; you should always start with a freshly clean face to make sure your skin can make the most out of all the vitamins, amino acids, and minerals in these products.
- Hydrating masks will have hyaluronic acid, glycerin, snail slime extract or another humectant.
- Calming and soothing masks will bring anti-inflammatory ingredients like camellia sinensis (green tea) leaf extract, snail bee, and aloe barbadensis leaf extract.
- Brightening sheet masks are enriched with vitamin C, niacinamide, and/or botanical ingredients such as centella asiatica extract.
- The anti-aging ones will plump out fine lines and wrinkles with ingredients like adenosine andcitrus paradisi (grapefruit) fruit extract.
- When applying a sheet mask, maximize adherence by snipping from the side of the nose fold to the eye hole. This will allow you to wiggle the mask just so, getting it closer to the under-eye area and preventing any tenting. If necessary, make a snip below the cheekbone and layer the mask over itself to maximize the fit further.
- Sheet masks are technically double sided so why not flip your mask over when you’re halfway through your treatment and enjoy the cooling dose of hydration once again? A personal note here: This is especially good if you have sensitive or irritated skin.
- The rule of thumb for sheet masks is to leave them on for 15 to 20 minutes tops—check the instructions on yours before setting your timer—and wearing them for a longer period of time won’t make the results any better. Actually, after this time the mask begins to dry and take away the moisture from your skin. For the same reason, never ever sleep with them on or you might wake up with paper dry skin.
P.S. Fill a tub full of scent and bubbles and soak with your mask on. So definitely a "me" time treat!
Friday, February 8, 2019
No more choosing between natural ingredients and high performance results. Exquisite formulas with clinically proven results made with pure, sustainable ingredients like caviar, sea silk, bamboo, and kendi oil. At Alterna, what they leave out of their products is just as important as what they put in. They choose eco-certified ingredients that are sustainably harvested to maintain our precious environment. Products are free of sulfates, parabens and synthetic color. They never test on animals and do not formulate with gluten. Alterna has three comprehensive cleansing, conditioning, treatment and styling brand lines - Caviar, Bamboo & Ten.
Caviar is decadent & anti-aging. Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging transforms hair after just one use. A potent blend of supreme quality and uncompromising performance, Caviar creates luxuriously healthy and youthful-looking hair and a lavish, indulgent experience. These products treat hair to a sumptuous infusion of caviar extract, vitamin C and cytokines which infuse the hair with brilliance, elasticity, and a more youthful look.
- Replenishing Moisture hydrates moisture starved hair for improved manageability, softness, shine and texture. If your hair is dry & brittle, then Replenishing Moisture care & treatment is right for you.
- Restructuring Bond Repair is formulated with their exclusive Caviar Bond Enforcing Technology that helps re-bond, rebuild and seal the cuticle for up to 10 washes. Clinically proven to reduce breakage and split ends by up to 99%. If you have weak, damaged hair then Restructuring Bond Repair is what your hair needs.
- Multiplying Volume helps restore hair's natural fullness. Marine Plumping Complex gives you instantly more volume. Give your fine, limp hair the Multiplying Volume care it needs.
- Infinite Color Hold keeps color true & vibrant longer as it protects against UV color fade and rinse out. Clinically proven to deliver up to 70 days of vibrant color. You need Infinite Color Hold if your hair is color-treated.
- Smoothing Anti-Frizz is formulated with a blend of nourishing oils to control the level of humidity affecting the hair. Creates a youthful looking silkiness. Over 80% less frizz for up to 72 hours. Get Smoothing Anti-Frizz if you have medium to coarse hair.
- Clinical Densifying, formulated with Red Clover Densifying Complex gives you the appearance of fuller hair. Proven to provide thinning hair with significant improvements in texture, thickness and overall condition with regular use.
Bamboo products are eco-certified and organic. They care for your hair without hurting the earth.
Pure Organic Bamboo Extract from our planet's most resilient botanical resource immediately boosts hair's intrinsic strength and lays the foundation for healthier hair. Rare Organic Kendi Oil a robust source of multiple essential fatty acids (Omegas 3, 6 & 9) repair and maintain your hair's natural lipid layer while anti-oxidant powerhouse Tocopherol fights free radicals protecting hair from future damage
Ten is three Perfect Blend products - Shampoo, Conditioner, and Treatment Mask. These botanical based products contain the Perfect Blend of TEN nourishing and transforming hair ingredients: Arabian Frankinsense, Afrian Cacao Extract, Color Hold Complex, Caviar Age-Control, Bulgarian Primrose, Moroccan Quillaia, White Truffle Oil, Hyaluronic Acid, Grape See Oil & Arnica Flower.
Thursday, February 7, 2019
Wednesday, February 6, 2019
Tuesday, February 5, 2019
Monday, February 4, 2019
Sunday, February 3, 2019
Lots of styles involve pulling hair neatly away from the face (ponies, up-dos, half-do’s, you name it). But that often means loose, flyaway, or frizzy strands making a mess of your handiwork at the hairline. Try this “neatening” strategy: Simply apply a firm finishing hairspray to a toothbrush (yes, a toothbrush) and smooth back any errant strands around your face. The tiny, firm bristles give you precise styling power, allowing you to easily blend those strands into your pulled-back style.
TIP: Once finished, add a drop of cuticle oil to each nail for a just manicured shine!
Saturday, February 2, 2019
Step 1: Amp It UpGather the entire back section including the crown of your hair at the root and tease with a comb for volume.
Step 2: Add a Tie
Brush hair back into a ponytail and then place a string, ribbon, or a thin piece of leather close to your hairline and tie it at the nape of your neck, over the ponytail.
Gently tug the top of the ponytail up from the ribbon to create an overhanging loop.
TIP: Add a touch of conditioning balm on the ends so that they look freshly blown-out, and then finish with a fine mist hairspray all over to hold the style and tame flyaways.
Friday, February 1, 2019
Joico says, "We believe we must change the way we see our world. The change must start everywhere and by everyone. That’s why Joico strives to be a great corporate citizen to our community, to our customers and to the globe. We are at the forefront of environmentally friendly materials. Our bottles are manufactured inhouse with up to 30% post-consumer recycled plastic; cartons are made of 100% recycled paperboard; Our products contain the finest, most beneficial ingredients in the world; shea butter from Africa, orchid oil from Asia - if it's the best, no continent is too far! We also don't collect antiques, so we constantly update our technologies and develop new ones to uphold our reputation as the leader in beauty innovation.