Age Appropriate Makeup for Pre-teens
It is important to realize that for girls, it's almost a coming of age milestone to wear makeup. Automatically dismissing the idea of makeup might backfire on you. So many girls arrive at middle school in the morning and immediately rush to the bathroom and whip out mascara, eyeshadow, eyeliner and other products they more than likely took from your vanity without you even noticing. Just like clothes, our tweens are easily influenced and insecure. So, having a talk with them and teaching them about makeup is the first step in building their confidence and easing your concerns. Knowing the reason for their need to suddenly start wearing makeup is very important. Maybe they're embarrassed by their complexion or they're feeling pressured/bullied by their peers. Once the reason is established, the transition will be easier for both of you.
Now, let's get down to the age-appropriate makeup business! Make sure she understands that makeup can be event appropriate. Explain that makeup is a lot like clothes and should be worn accordingly. A lighter more natural look is appropriate for school and a more formal look can be used for a school dance. I really wish this would have been explained to me. Growing up in the 80's, my mother went all out for 1st grade's school picture... eyeliner and everything! At least we have YouTube tutorials now.
Here are some suggestions for products that are perfect for beginners:
- Tinted moisturizers- This is a great product to start introducing foundation. It is lightweight, moisturizing and will help with complexion problems.
- Light pink lip gloss- Tweens are not ready for lipstick and really don't need it. Lip glosses are perfect. Make sure to stick with clear or very light shades.
- Peach or skin-toned eyeshadow- Cream eyeshadows are very easy to blend. Make sure to emphasize to her that a little goes a long way.
- Brown mascara- Opting for brown gives a much softer look than black. Also, try to avoid waterproof mascara. Make sure to go over application, again, less is more.
- Makeup remover wipes- Helpful to remove makeup around/near the eye area without the use of harsh soaps.