What's the best way to avoid break-outs and create a smooth canvas for your make-up application? It's preparing your skin correctly. Preparing your skin means it is clean, pores are closed, dead skin is removed and new skin is moisturized. It also means applying skin care products in the correct order to maximize the benefits of the products you are using.
- Cleanse your skin. Use a quality facial cleanser that won't strip your skin of its natural oils, but will clean deep down into the pores. You don't need to scrub...a mild non-detergent cleanser with plant-derived surfactant will clean without harsh scrubbing that can irritate the sensitive skin of the face. Malibu C Purifi Perfection or Clinical Care Green Stuff Facial Cleansing Gel are two good cleansers to try if you don't have one you are using.
- Exfoliate. If you skin is looking tired and lackluster, it's time to also exfoliate! A gentle facial exfoliator like BioElements Measured Micrograins or MaskerAid Konjac Sponge Bamboo Charcoal will get the job done; removing dead skin cells and leaving you with a bright, healthy glow. Dry skin build-up on the surface of the skin can prevent moisturizers from penetrating.
- Apply a toner. A good toner will balance the natural pH of your skin and tighten pores.
- The next step depends on the other product you use. Apply in the following order:
- Serums - apply anti-aging, wrinkle reducing or other serum.
- Facial Oil - apply after the serum.
- Apply your Moisturizer. A rich moisturizer with the appropriate balance of ingredients that add and lock moisture in the winter will help to better retain your skin’s moisture and make it feel soft. Apply moisturizer liberally to your skin. Do this in circular motion to encourage blood flow. Need a good moisturizer? Try Fruitique Coconut Water Ultra-Hydrating Moisturizer or DermOrganics Daily Moisture Renewal.
- Apply any skin treatment you are using (like acne products)