it's the blood vessels that can be seen through the lip skin. (The upper lip is the labium superius oris and the lower lip is the labium inferius oris. The juncture where the lips meet the surrounding skin is called the vermilion border.)
So, why do we want full lips? According to researchers, it has been shown that the more estrogen a woman has, the fuller her lips. Somehow, in our distant past, this got built into our DNA and served as an indicator of a woman's fertility, so full lips became sexually attractive. Interestingly, when make-up was applied to lips, they found biological indicators were masked.
Now you know...probably more info than you needed! The bottom line, lips need extra moisture and care. A well made-up lip completes your look and makes you feel more confident; even a neutral shade. So, when selecting lip products, it is important to choose one with moisturizers and SPF protection (like Jane Iredale's Lip Drink), no matter what shade or type (lipstick, gloss, balm) you buy.
Tips for lips:
- Line the lips after you've applied your lip color.
- Just line the center of the Cupid's bow and the center of the lower lip.
- Gloss is youthful. It works at any time of the day or night.
- If you love to wear gloss but are worried about feathering, put a dot in the middle of the lower lip only.
- If you want to make lips appear large, line on the outside or the vermilion line, but not into the skin.
- Mix lipstick shades for your own custom color.
- You can use a lip pencil and fill in your entire lips and just add a clear gloss for a go anywhere and everywhere look.
For the very best in lip care, select from our professional cosmetics just for lips. Click here!