Long, luscious lashes are a cosmetic necessity. Applying mascara effectively is essential to full, natural looking eyelashes. Follow these five rules to get perfect eyelashes.
- Eyelash curlers are essential. Lash curlers are the key to giving lashes that “wow” factor. Be sure to choose one that creates a beautiful upward curl (ToolWorx has a great one!). With a delicate pumping motion, move from the lash base upward for maximum results. Always curl before applying mascara, not after. When bare, the eyelashes are suppler so the crimping of the lash isn't as damaging.
- Let lashes set between layers of mascara. Practice a little patience between each coat. Giving a little bit of air time between each coat will allow the mascara to set and build upon each layer instead of gooping up as one big clump.
- Prevent “spider lashes” with a lash comb. Avoid spidery clumps by combing lashes after applying mascara. A metal-toothed lash comb is key; apply a coat, wait a few seconds, brush through eyelashes, and then apply the next coat. Mehaz Retractable Eyelash Comb is perfect if you don't have one.
- Don’t layer different mascaras. Some formulas will not mix well and end up clumping However, some mixing and matching does work. If there’s a wand you prefer over another, clean it off and use with your favorite formula or as a lash comb.
- Condition and treat your lashes daily. Just like your hair, your lashes need a little TLC. Lash conditioners work as a primer, creating a smooth surface for mascara. Growth treatments stimulate the eyelash growth cycle, making it longer, so lashes come in longer, darker and thicker. Full results take 2-3 months, while improvements show within 4 weeks. gloMinerals, Ardel and Babe all have great conditioners.