|Vacation Essentials - all travel sizes are on sale during June|
Summer vacation! You've saved and planned and dreamed of it all winter long. Now it's time to pack. What to bring, how much to bring, air travel restrictions, car space limitations, and length of the vacation all have to be considered as you spend the day (or the frantic hour before you leave) packing. Not withstanding the clothing, you also have to pack your hygiene and cosmetic products. Unfortunately you can't just throw your whole bathroom in a suitcase to take with you, so getting these right is just as important as what clothes to pack. So, let's try to sort out the essentials:
- Shampoo and conditioner. Chances are you will be out in the sunshine much of the time. Hair needs special care when exposed to UV rays, especially color-treated hair. It may also be much dryer than normal where you are going or have more humidity. So, unless your favorite products have UV protectants and special moisturizers, you might want to invest in products that do. Travel kit sizes of many of your favorite products are available, especially in summer. Brand new and exclusive to BCC is KMS Moist Repair Kit or Color Vitality Kit which come in a black Clutch. Each includes shampoo, conditioner, blow dry spray, hair spray and messing cream sachets. Only $20! If you use 100% vegan products, Pravana has introduced Nevo Travel Kit. It's perfect with shampoo, conditioner and Intense Therapy leave-in.
- Styling Products & Tools. You may have a shelf full of these from shine sprays to hair spray, so consider your activities and how you will wear your hair during your vacation. You certainly won't want to spend all your vacation primping, so the quick and easy version of your hair style will probably be best. If you are planning one "special night" out during the trip, consider treating yourself to the hotel salon rather than packing a lot of items you will only need once. Totally essential is the blow dryer and flat iron. CHI makes a cordless flat iron with a 90 minute use before needing a re-charge. How great is that! As for a dryer, if you don't have a travel size, Amika makes a great one that has dual voltage and comes in it's own travel bag and includes a diffuser.
- Skin Care. Again, sun, chlorine, salt water, humidity, and even hotel air and vacation foods will play havoc with your skin. The first item in the bag should be an ultra-moisturizing body lotion with an SPF protection. Don't forget the lips. Jane Iredale's Lip Drink is a perfect choice. Absolutely perfect for easy travel is LA Fresh products. If you haven't seen them before, check it out. Wipes to remove make-up, polish, cleanse and sooth. They are inexpensive, so convenient and work great!
- Cosmetics. This is always the tough one. You want to look great, but with many weight and travel restrictions you have to make some choices. First, pull out your "everyday" items. These are items like your mascara, concealer or foundation. Then look to find dual function products, i.e. can your eye shadow function as the eye liner as well. If you must have extra colors, go with the lip pencils, shadows, and lipsticks that are lightweight and perhaps dual ended. Susan Posnick Cosmetics has a whole line of great dual purpose or multi-functional cosmetics you might want to check out.
- Hygiene. Of course you pack the toothbrush, toothpaste and a brush. P.S. Check out VioLife Slim Sonic Toothbrush in a mascara-type tube! AND for kids, there is the Rockee...it wobbles but it won't tip over so brush head doesn't end up on the counter. Also consider a bar of your favorite soap or body wash. Most hotel soaps are drying or scented with a fragrance that you may not like. This also makes your skin feel more "at home" and less likely react to external changes.
P.S. Beauty Care Choices Travel Sizes/Products page is perfect for finding everything you need.